TURKEY MEATLOAF, FAUX CAULIFLOWER MASHED “POTATOES” & SWEET AND SPICY BRUSSELS
Brandan and I started a family tradition a few years ago that we would have meatloaf every Christmas Eve. I am not even sure where it came from or why, but it did lead me to getting a bit creative with a healthy meatloaf recipe.
Actually, we loved it so much its become more of a staple meal in our diet now.
I do want to address that many times these recipes are just on a whim and I do not measure nor make them exactly the same each time. Don’t be afraid to get creative in the kitchen! Its the only way to get better at cooking!
So here is what you will need:
– 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
– Worcestershire sauce
– 1 whole cage free egg
– Onions & Mushrooms (Optional. I use Shiitake’s and sweet onion)
– Brussel Sprouts
– 1 head Cauliflower
– Fat Free Sour Cream
– Onion & Chive Cream Cheese Greek yogurt
– Cayenne Pepper
– Walden Farms pancake syrup or maple syrup of liking
– Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Sea Salt, Italian Seasoning
– Low Sugar or Sugar Free BBQ Sauce or Reduced Sugar Ketchup
This is the Onion & Chive Cream Cheese Greek Yogurt I use (Green Mountain Farms Brand)
This is the BBQ sauce I use ( Ken Davis Brand)
- Sautee onion and mushrooms in saucepan until tender.
2) Place extra lean ground turkey in large mixing bowl. Add Worcestershire sauce to liking (I usually add about 4tbs), egg, seasonings of liking (listed above) and sautéed veggies. Mix together with hands by kneading all ingredients into the meat.
3) In a greased glass baking dish press meat/veggie/egg mixture into the mold of the dish. Add either BBQ Sauce or Ketchup to top of meat and spread evenly with the back of a spoon (I prefer the low cal BBQ Sauce)
4) Place in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
5) While meatloaf is cooking, Chop cauliflower into small pieces. Place in steamer dish and steam in microwave 2-3 minutes or until tender.
6) Place steamed cauliflower in a magic bullet or blender. Add 2 tbs. onion and chive greek yogurt cream cheese, and 2 tbs. fat free sour cream per serving ( about 1/3 head of cauliflower) and blend until well blended and fluffy.
7) Cut brussel sprouts in half and steam for one minute in microwave steamer dish. Throw in hot saucepan. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup to saucepan and stir frequently. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and cook until browned.
8) Place all ingredients on plate and devour! You may need to reheat the cauliflower mashed potatoes as they seem to get cold quickly after steaming and blending.